How English supports our school’s vision:
In English, our aim is to equip our children with the communication skills they will need to actively participate in society as 21st century learners and to inspire a love of literature and language. Every support will be given to children to develop skills to read fluently and with confidence so they can fully enjoy and engage with a rich range of literature and access information. Through discussion, they will make choices about their own preferences and learn to think critically, a skill which will enhance every area of their education. Writing will give opportunities to address different audiences and contexts for both pleasure and real purpose. Children will learn to express themselves creatively and be prepared to communicate effectively in various ways to achieve their aspirations.
Teaching early reading
Our pupils learn to read and write effectively and quickly using the Read Write Inc. Phonics programme.
The programme is for:
- a gentle introduction of phonics and letter formation in Nursery
- pupils in Year R to Year 2 who are learning to read and write
- any pupils in Years 2, 3 and 4 who need to catch up rapidly.
We teach pupils to:
- decode letter-sound correspondences quickly and effortlessly, using their phonic knowledge and skills
- read ‘tricky’ words on sight
- understand what they read
- read aloud with fluency and expression
- write confidently, with a strong focus on vocabulary and grammar
- spell quickly and easily by segmenting the sounds in words
- acquire good handwriting.
In addition, we teach pupils to work effectively with a partner to explain and consolidate what they are learning. This provides the teacher with opportunities to assess learning and to pick up on difficulties, such as pupils’ articulation, or problems with blending or alphabetic code knowledge.